The Governors are very committed to supporting the Headteacher, staff and children, in setting and maintaining very high standards, and in the constant pursuit of improvement.
Foundation governors always out-number all other governors by at least two ensuring a majority vote where matters of particular Catholic importance arise.
The Governing Body of St.Bernadette's has the following core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of the Catholic vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the HT to account for the educational performance and Catholic character of the school and its pupils;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Link to statutory guidance- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/constitution-of-governing-bodies-of-maintained-schools
As a Catholic Voluntary Aided School we also have responsibility for maintaining the Catholic character of our school and ensuring that all our children have the opportunity to know, love and serve almighty God, and develop their full spiritual, moral, academic and physical potential in a caring atmosphere reflecting the true spirit of Christ’s love and compassion.
St. Bernadette's Governing Body
The full Governing Board meets three times a year. Each member of the governing Board is also a member of one or more of our committees and may also have a specific area of responsibility. We have committees all of which give feedback to the full governing body:
- Finance, Staffing and Premises: To deal with all matters delegated by the Governing Board regarding, Finance, the school premises, Health and Safety and staffing, personnel and pay.
- Teaching and Learning: To deal with all matters delegated by the Governing Board regarding; Standards in school and Curriculum.
- Admissions: To deal with all matters related to school admissions
These committees meet once each term prior to the Full Governing Body meeting.
St. Bernadette’s Governing Board consists of:
- Local Authority Governor: appointed by the LA
- Parent Governors: 2 parents are elected by other parents at school
- Foundation Governors 7: governors are appointed by the Diocese. These governors represent the views of the Bishop.
- Staff Governors: One governor is elected by the school staff.
The standard term of office for a governor is four years.
The Chair and Vice-Chair are elected annually at the first meeting of the academic year.
The Chair of Governors is Mrs Jenny Redmond who can be contacted via the school office.
The Chair of Finance and Premises Committee is Mr. Martin Greenhalgh.
The Chair of Standards and Teaching & Learning Committee is Mrs Lynn O'Meara.
|St Bernadette's RC Primary School-Governor Attendance 2023-2024|
Standards, Teaching and Learning Committee
* NA -Non-Attendance *
Finance and Premises Committee
* NA -Non-Attendance *
Full Governing Board Meetings* NA -Non-Attendance *
|Canon Steven Parkinson||X||X||X|